Thursday, March 18, 2010

Your Health...

Its no secret to most of you that I've embarked on a fitness journey about a month and a half ago. This started out to solve a variety of health problems that were going on, two of which include having asthma and high blood pressure. I decided to take matters into my own hands and try to lose some weight and commit to a more active lifestyle. So far everything is going well. I started doing P90X (yes the one that's on the infomercial), and have not only reduced my blood pressure significantly but I've also not needed my asthma inhaler at all since starting. In addition to that I've lost over 9.5 inches off my body and greatly increased my energy and endurance. Feel free to click that P90X link above and ask me any questions you'd like to about my progress or the products!

What does any of this have to do with gardening? Quite a bit actually. While doing research on how to get healthy I came across several articles on gardening. It seems that people who tend to a garden have the advantage! Physically gardening can be demanding, depending on the role you take with it. The acts of digging, planting, watering, weeding, and harvesting can be a great workout. Also mentally its been proven that people who work around or interact with plants recover from mental fatigue faster, it also helps relieve stress, depression, lowers blood pressure and can serve much like a "moving meditation". Not to mention everything you are caring for is really healthy, no fat, no sodium, almost no calorie FOOD! You can eat as much of it as you want! Just make sure before you go outside to tackle this workout STRETCH! This is very important..to help prevent soreness and injury. I actually have this book on stretching, its great!

UPDATES: I started seeds indoors March 16th. This is a good time to plant by the moon for my area of the country. I started Roma Tomatoes, Jalapeno Peppers and Serrano Peppers. As soon as I can get my camera working, I'll post some pictures I promise! Also a friend and fellow reader told me about this heirloom seed company. Its called Seed Savers. Thanks for the tip Julie!!

No comments: