Monday, February 20, 2012

How To Grow Fuji Apple Trees



I am experimenting with growing fruit trees from seed.  Admittedly I am not an expert at fruit trees nor have I ever attempted this before.  This will be a learning experience for all of us!  From what I've learned so far, growing fruit trees from seed is actually very easy.  It takes very few steps to get started.  Here is what they are.

1. Remove and rinse the seeds from an apple.   From what I've read, the seeds taken from apples bought at the grocery store work just fine.  My Fuji apple seeds are from an apple I got at the local orchard here in town.

2. Allow the seeds to air dry out for a few days.

3. Find a clear plastic container with a lid and line the bottom with damp (not soaking wet) paper towels.  This can be tupperware, or any other food container.  I am using a clear plastic cookie container that I washed out.

4. Place the seeds on top of the damp paper towels and then cover them up with more damp paper towels.

5. Seal up the plastic container with the lid and place the container in the refrigerator. 

6. Check daily to make sure the paper towels haven't dried out.

From most of the reading I have done on this, MOST of the seeds will sprout within 24 hours!  But you must leave them in their container until the sprouts are at least an inch long before transplanting into little cups.  I will keep you all updated on this!  Maybe tomorrow I will be able to post some pictures of the sprouts!  Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

Drifting2u said...

Did something like that before,(didn't rinse or touch seed, let dry ..seen to work.)..
Thanks drifting 2u..

Anonymous said...

I did this using a sandwich bag and wet paper towel. I put the seeds in there straight from the apple. When the sprouts got to 3 inches I transplanted them into a cup under my grow light.