Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Baby Chicks Are Here!

I ordered 12 day old baby chickens from a hatchery a couple of months ago and they've finally arrived! I got 3 Welsummers, 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 3 Delawares.  I ordered all hens.  There is a 90% chance of the hatchery having sexed them correctly.  So I could end up with a rooster in the mix.  They're currently in a cardboard box with a clip light to keep them warm.  During the first week the temperature in the box must be kept at 95 degrees.  You decrease 5 degrees each week.  So far they're all eating and drinking just fine.  Although when chicks are only a few days old they're extremely fragile and many times not all of them live.  So far, so good here!  Below are a few photos!  I'll try to take photos each week so you can see how fast they grow!





No comments: