Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Garden Seed List 2013

Hello 2013!  I hope everyone of my readers had a great holiday season!  It seemed to go by pretty fast.  Well, it's January 2nd and its 15 degrees outside here in Ohio.  I know, you're thinking, why would I be thinking about my garden now?  It's really the best time to start planning.  You can do all of your garden planning from inside your warm house!  I know I've covered this before so I'll make the planning suggestions quick and then get to what I have planned for this year.

First, you need to establish how much space you have to plant.  If you have no ground space, you can always plant a few things in containers.  You can plant tomatoes, beans, peppers, lettuce, greens, etc...there is really no end to what you can do in containers.

Next, based on your climate area, decide when you can plant and what varieties you can plant. Click HERE to find your garden zone.  Based on your zone, you can then select varieties of vegetables to try out.  Once you get those 2 things accomplished, you can draw it out on paper if you'd like, or enter it into a computer program. I personally just use paper, its easier and less messy trying to take a computer outside to update it.

So this year, we may decide to plant in rectangles instead of rows. I'm not positive yet if we will try this but its on the list for now.  So far this is the seed list for 2013:

tomatoes
zucchini
yellow squash
butternut squash
green onions
potatoes
peppers
greens
kale
carrots
corn
radishes
turnips
parsnips
strawberries
asparagus
watermelon
pumpkins
green beans
lettuce

I'm sure there will be things added here but this is about it for now.  I am also going to be trying out some heirloom tomatoes, and jalapenos in my greenhouse.  I will probably add more to that list as well. Get to planning!  Soon it will be time to prepare the soil!

No comments: