Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May Gardening Update

Hello! I thought I'd post another update on how the garden is coming along.  I am in the process of getting a new chicken barn and we've been clearing space for it.  We "candled" the eggs in the incubator (holding a light up to them) to see if any embryos were forming and there are at least 6! I didn't check all of the eggs, but I wanted to make sure we at least had something forming.  Hatch date is the 27th!  They could begin hatching a day or two early.  I have gathered all of my baby chick supplies and just need a large box!  Here is a photo of the chick supplies, feeder, waterer, brooder light and thermometer.



Another project I just started is a sponge herb garden.  My mom got these two sponges for me and they say you can plant seeds in them without soil.  So, I am experimenting with Basil, Flat Leaf Parsley and Cilantro.  Here is what they look like, the seeds are already in them!  I'll take more photos if they sprout.



Here are a few things up in the garden.  Onions (top photo), Zucchini (2nd photo) and Radishes (bottom photo)





Here are some photos of what the green house plants look like at this point.  They're leaning sideways because we had to bring them inside due to a frost warning.  They'll straighten up now that they're back outside.


The cabbage I bought, I don't usually grow that from seed.


The next few photos I took while outside today between clearing the area for the barn.

This is a photo of the bamboo we have growing on the side of the garage.  My dad got a start of this from someone and it gets huge every year.  I am considering starting it in other places also.


I've shown this to you all before its dad's farming rig.....1946 Farmall Tractor.  We have another tractor we also use to mow the field with.



Below is my farm rig. ha ha Not too big but that's OK. I use that cart to haul all sorts of things.  Water jugs for the chickens, bags of chicken feed, rocks, bricks, cement blocks and we've put tree limbs in it also.  It looks small but it can haul 800lbs of stuff!



I will update in about a week, there should be some video of day old baby chicks to post!

No comments: